Skip to main content

Band Fleece Jacket

Band jacket embroidery
I am a music teacher and I love it when my two loves; music and sewing combine. It doesn't happen very often but when it does, it is wonderful! Earlier this school year I designed our band logo. We had t-shirts made for all of the kids and we even played a pep rally all wearing our band shirts. I let the band kids choose what color the t-shirt would be and they chose gray.
Screenshot 2016-08-02 09.08.22
Since fall is finally here and the weather has turned cold. I wanted a fleece jacket with our logo on it. Also, last year when I attended All-District and All-State all of the other directors had band apparel on. Our band program is only 2 years old and it is growing very fast! The kids love working hard and accomplishing great things together.
Screenshot 2016-11-13 07.39.21
We are a charter school and I do get asked a lot of questions about working at a charter school. Our school is a non-profit public school. It is also funded just like any other public school with taxpayer money. I am paid the same way through the state and my benefits have stayed the same. Some differences are you have to enter a lottery for enrollment, we do not have buses so children are carpool or vanpool (Daycare) riders and we do not have a cafeteria so most lunches are bag lunches. We do have a hot lunch program through Golden Corral. We do have children who are classified as free and reduce lunch and we feed them using school funds. I love that our school is K-12 and I love teaching music because I can teach all of them! We are a school of choice and I believe every parent should be able to choose what is best for their children's education.

Comments

Nita said…
Rah rah rah for music teachers! My band teacher was one of the most influential adults in my life as a teenager, and I am still involved in music as a result (37 years after I graduated). Music is so important for kids in so many ways. High five to you!
Anonymous said…
The logo looks great on the jacket. Did you digitize it yourself or have it digitized? I am looking for someone to digitize my logo. Recommentations and a ballpark idea of cost are welcome!
Sew Spoiled said…
I have https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtisanalThreadworks do my embroidery digitizing. She is great and her listings are at a great price!

Popular posts from this blog

Fun in the Sun Mermaid Tutorial

Sewing Materials: 1/4 yard of Lycra or  5T or larger old swimsuit Thread Stretch Needle (helps) Sewing Machine and Sewing Notions Print the PDF patterns pieces out and tape them together. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 1: Cutting Layout-  Place the templates over the fabric and cut. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 2:   Fold the top edges of the mermaid tail and sew across. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 3: Place the mermaid tale pieces right sides together. Sew around the mermaid tail using the stretch stitch, it looks like a bolt of lighting. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 4: Flip the mermaid tail right side out using a chopstick.   Option: You can add Poly-fil to make the end of the tale puffy.   Set aside. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Bodice   Step 1: Cut a bodice measuring  4.5” X1.5” or use template. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 2: Fold the bodice right sides together and sew the  short ends making a loop. Use the edge of the presser foot for your seam a

How to Line an A-Line Skirt Tutorial

 After you find an A-line skirt pattern , I am using  One Yard Wonders 101  template . Make a muslin of your skirt! It only takes a few minutes to make a muslin version. Just baste stitch the side seams and make adjustments for your hips. Once your template is right you can make all the skirts your heart desires, so it is important to get the perfect fit first. Now we are ready to cut the "good" fabric and sew! ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- Flip the skirt right side out and put it on!! You are done!! It is super easy and your new skirt will look store made.  Plus there is no hand stitching the lining to the main fabric. If you have any questions please comment below or email me at leah.sewspoiled@gmail.com .  WooHooo!! A-Line Skirt Pattern Finds

Sweet Coin Purse Tutorial for Teacher Gifts

This time of year is so special to me because I get to show my gratitude for all of the hard work that goes into teaching my daughters. I love to make handmade gifts and this year is no exception. Since money does not grow on trees around here, I looked at my stash (I keep my scraps in hat boxes ) and tried to see what I had a lot of; small zippers, trims, Peltex strips ( from making iPad cases ), fabric scraps and some hardware for key fobs. So I set to work.  Materials: Plastic multipurpose 5" Zipper  Fabric Scraps Lightweight interfacing 808 Pellon Trims (We clipped  key fobs  with 1.5" swivel hooks onto our coin purses . There are tons of tutorials on making key fobs .) Step 1: Print out the Coin Purse Template  PDF.  Cut 2 main fabric, cut 2 lining and 2 interfacing using the template.  Optional: Cut a 2"X2" square of your choice main fabric or lining. This strip of fabric is used to clip a key fob to your coin purse later. We used a 1.5